Discovering Le Puy-en-Velay and La Chaise-Dieu Lunch included. Duration : a day
Discovering Le Puy-en-Velay and La Chaise-Dieu
Duration : a day
minimum 25 people
Your day :
morning : visit of Le Puy-en-Velay
Your group will be welcomed by a guide from the Pays d'art et d'histoire,
departure for the pedestrian tour of the city of Le Puy-en-Velay. Visit of Notre Dame du Puy Cathedral, a masterpiece of Romanesque art (UNESCO’s World Heritage of Humanity) and walk around the old city.
During the visit, the guide will tell you about the main monuments of the city, the Corneille and Saint-Michel d'Aiguilhe rocks, the Hôtel-Dieu classed UNESCO world heritage due to its position at the start of the Santiago de Compostela way. You will learn about the history of this pilgrimage city which is also crossing point of the GR 65, the Saint James, or Santiago de Compostela way to Spain.
The guide will also tell you the history of lacemaking and give you information on local products, the PDO (Protected designation of Origin) Le Puy green lentils and the famous Velay verbena liqueur.
A walk in the heart of a very old city.
Lunch in a restaurant of the city, (1/4 of wine and coffee included)
Afternoon : visit of La Chaise-Dieu
Discover the history of La Chaise-Dieu :
- the gothic abbey church with the tomb of Pope Clement VI surrounded by 144 oak stalls sculpted medieval motifs, a mural of the 15th century "danse macabre", a gothic rood screen and an organ case from 17th century with beautifull musician angels...
- the medieval village with the adorned houses : bartizans, masks, statues, heraldry... the outside buildings of the former Benedictine abbey and the organization of the monastic life
- Clement VI lodge and its optic theater with a movie recounting the historical context of the abbey church construction by the Pope Clement VI and his nephew the Pope Gregory XI
- the recently renovated cloister and the abbey church
- the tapestries nave where the 14 Flemish tapestries from the 16th century entirely cleaned and restored will be optimally presented
- the "salle de l'écho" or whispering room with its fabulous acoustic
End of the day
NB : From April to October
It is also possible to visit La Chaise-Dieu in the morning and Le Puy-en-Velay in the afternoon.
from 46 € per person
minimum 25 people.
Included in the price
Included : - a guide for the visit of the cathedral and the old town. - Lunch with 1/4 of wine and coffee. - the entrance fee and the guided visit of La Chaise-Dieu - Organisation and booking of the different activities. - Free for the bus driver
Not included : - Transport. - Personal expenses.
Modes de paiement
- Bank/credit card
- Chèques Vacances
- Credit transfer
From 01/04 to 31/10/2020.