Guided tours to discover the St Robert gothic abbey church, the history of the former Benedictine abbey, the conventual buildings and the medieval village of La Chaise-Dieu
The guided tours can be one hour or two hours long :
- the gothic abbey church with the tomb of Pope Clement VI surrounded by 144 oak stalls sculpted medieval motifs, a mural of the 15th century "danse macabre", a gothic rood screen and an organ case from 17th century with beautifull musician angels... (one hour long guided tour)
- the medieval village with the adorned houses : bartizans, masks, statues, heraldry... the outside buildings of the former Benedictine abbey and the organization of the monastic life (one hour long guided tour)
From mid July 2019, discover the new guided tour of the abbey :
- Clement VI lodge and its optic theater with a movie recounting the historical context of the abbey church construction by the Pope Clement VI and his nephew the Pope Gregory XI
- the recently renovated cloister and the abbey church
- the tapestries nave where the 14 Flemish tapestries from the 16th century entirely cleaned and restored will be optimally presented
- the "salle de l'écho" or whispering room with its fabulous acoustic
Added 5 € per person for groups more than 20 persons
Free entry for the drivers.
Group rate available for > 20 people.
Modes de paiement
- Credit transfer
All year round between 10 am and 12 pm.
Closed exceptionally on January 1st, Feast of the Ascension, August 15th, November 1st, November 11th and December 25th.